Family Obligations/Requirements for Participation
The Housing Choice Voucher provides a complete list of all the obligations that must be followed by all family members. This is a reminder that the Housing Authority (HA) must be notified in writing and within certain time frames on the following issues:
- The family must promptly (within 10 days) notify the HA in writing when the family is away or absent from the unit for an extended period of time. An extended period of time is defined as 30 days or more. The HA will inform the family of the policy governing these absences and for how long an absence can be allowed. It is a good idea to ask about our policies ahead of time.
- The family must allow the HA to inspect the unit at reasonable times and after reasonable notice. Reasonable notice is considered 48 hours. The HA will only attempt to inspect a unit two times. If the family does not make their unit available within two inspections, the family’s assistance will be terminated.
- The family must notify, in writing, the HA and, at the same time, the owner before the family moves out of the unit or terminates the lease.
- The family must promptly (within 10 days) notify the HA in writing of the birth, adoption or court-awarded custody of a child.
- The family must request in writing HA approval to add any other family member as an occupant of the unit. This includes the addition of an additional member through marriage, or the addition of a foster child, or a live-in aide. The composition of the family residing in the unit must be approved by the HA, and any new family member may not reside in the unit until HA approval is received.
- Any family member not included on the lease who has been in the unit more than 14 consecutive days, or a total of 24 days in a 12-month period, will be considered to be living in the unit as an unauthorized household member.
- The family must promptly (within 10 days) notify the HA in writing if any family member no longer resides in the unit.
- The family must promptly (within 10 days) give the HA a copy of any eviction notice.